Thursday 3 January 2013

My bid for tech liberty: how have I done so far? Dan Gillmor

My bid for tech liberty: how have I done so far? | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk: "I'd grown increasingly worried about the degree to which decentralized technology – where the greatest value was created, without anyone's permission, at the edges of the networks – was being re-centralized in disturbing ways. Meanwhile, tech users seemed to take vast corporate and government surveillance for granted. The trends stemmed from a combination of factors: the natural tendency of governments and businesses toward accretion of power; fundamental economic realities that, especially in the tech sphere, favor monopolies and oligopolies; and the public's understandable, if worrisome, preference for convenience and what is too often the illusion of security." 'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment